THINK 20 — The research and policy advice network for the G20
In 2019, the Think20 (T20) is convening in Japan under its G20 presidency. Together, the world’s leading think tanks will drive policy innovation to help G20 Leaders address pressing global challenges and seek a sustainable, inclusive and resilient society.
- 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- International Financial Architecture for Stability and Development/Crypto-assets and Fintech
- Climate Change and Environment
- Economic Effects of Infrastructure Investment and its Financing
- Cooperation with Africa
- Social Cohesion, Global Governance and the Future of Politics
- The Future of Work and Education for the Digital Age
- Trade, Investment and Globalization
- SME Policy faced with Development of Financial Technology
- Aging Population and its Economic Impact + Immigration
2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
The Sustainable Development Goals aim to realize a society ‘that leaves no one behind,’ and this shares much common ground with the concept of human security which Japan has been promoting for many years. Therefore, this year, Task Force 1 – 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development – will cover selected issues which are critically important for SDG advancement. Read more.
International Financial Architecture for Stability and Development/Crypto-assets and Fintech
Task Force 2 – International Financial Architecture for Stability and Development/Crypto-assets and Fintech – will review the T20’s aspirations and achievements during the past decades with respect to the design and improvement of the international financial architecture. As a result of this review, the Task Force will identify and recommend new priorities for policy action. Read more.
Climate Change and Environment
Climate change is an issue the international community must address collectively, and the steadfast implementation of the Paris Agreement is urgently needed. Moreover, addressing climate change is a critical pillar for achieving the Sustainable Development Goals. Based on these ideas, accelerating the virtuous cycle of environmental protection and economic growth are urgently required. Task Force 3 – Climate Change and Environment – plans to develop such recommendations. Read more.
Economic Effects of Infrastructure Investment and its Financing
Development of infrastructure is prerequisite to long-term sustainable economic growth. However, about 10% of GDP is needed to finance infrastructure-related projects in developing countries worldwide. It is also imperative that policies focus on sustainable investment in infrastructure. Task Force 4 – Economic Effects of Infrastructure Investment and its Financing – will take this mandate forward. Read more.
Cooperation with Africa
African countries still face various development challenges. However, Africa can take advantage of new trends such as the development of value chains in agriculture and industry, and the leapfrogging impact of innovative technologies. This Task Force – Cooperation with Africa – will promote the African Union’s Agenda 2063 and sustainable development across the African continent. Read more.
Social Cohesion, Global Governance and the Future of Politics
In recent years, there has been political backlash against globalization in many parts of the world. Task Force 6 – Social Cohesion, Global Governance and the Future of Politics – deals with the unprecedented crisis in multilateralism at the global level, disruption of social cohesion at the domestic level, how nations could address these issues, and what the future of politics should look like. Read more.
The Future of Work and Education for the Digital Age
Technological transformations such as artificial intelligence, fintech and the Internet of Things are putting the global economy on a new track. Policy actions are needed to harness the opportunities and ensure the benefits are shared by all. Task Force 7 – The Future of Work and Education for the Digital Age – will make recommendations on how to achieve well-balanced labor markets while reducing inequalities and promoting economic and social development. Read more.
Trade, Investment and Globalization
Task Force 8 – Trade, Investment and Globalization – will address policies to strengthen the World Trade Organization and improve the world trading system, goods and services trade policies and socially just and environmentally-friendly investment policies, and the establishment of well-balanced global rules that promote the free flow of data and the protection of personal information. Read more.
SME Policy faced with Development of Financial Technology
Small and medium-sized enterprises account for more than half of formal employment globally and are crucial for stimulating improvements in productivity. However, many SMEs face challenges related to their sizes, limited resources, market access and relationship with larger enterprises. Task Force 9 – SME Policy Faced with Development of Financial Technology – will discuss possible policy recommendations to address these challenges. Read more.
Aging Population and its Economic Impact + Immigration
Rapidly aging populations pose a serious challenge to the global economy. Task Force 10 – Aging Population and its Economic Impact + Immigration – will focus on policy measures and actions aimed toward sustaining inclusive economic growth and well-functioning socioeconomic systems which provide social security to all people. The role of labor migration to alleviate the impact of declining labor forces and working populations will also be explored. Read more.
T20 JAPAN ASSOCIATED EVENTS
- RIETI T20-G20 Symposium “Free Trade and Data Free Flow with Trust (DFFT): Challenges and Strategies for Japan”
5 July 2019 in Tokyo
hosted by RIETI
PAST T20 JAPAN ASSOCIATED EVENTS
- ADB-ADBI Conference on Demographic Changes, Productivity, and the Role of Technology
13-14 June 2019 in Tokyo
hosted by ADB and ADBI
- 7th OECD-AMRO-ADB-ADBI-ERIA Asian Regional Roundtable on Macroeconomic and Structural Policies
18-19 June 2019 in Jakarta
hosted by OECD, AMRO, ADB, ADBI and ERIA
- ICRIER G20 | 2019 conference “Global Cooperation for Inclusive Growth: Views from G20 countries”
30-31 May 2019 in New Delhi
hosted by Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (ICRIER), IMF and ADBI
- The View of non-G20 Members on Global Governance
24-26 May 2019 in Tokyo
hosted by Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung (KAS)
- G20-T20 Roundtable Discussion on “Global Value Chains for Inclusive Development: FDI, investment facilitation and linkage creation”
28 May 2019 in Tokyo
hosted by UNIDO and German Development Institute
- Pre-TICAD7 Knowledge Event “African Economic Outlook & Debt Sustainability”
28 May 2019 in Tokyo
hosted by African Development Bank and Japan External Trade Organization
- Panel Discussion on “Where are we at on SDG Progress?―Perspectives from around the Globe
28 May 2019 in Tokyo
hosted by Southern Voice and JICA Research Institute
- T20-G20 Roundtable Discussion on “Digital Trade, WTO Reform, and Trade and Investment for Sustainable and Inclusive Growth”
9 April 2019 in Tokyo
hosted by RIETI and German Development Institute
- JICA RI Knowledge Forum “Toward G20 Osaka Summit -Think 20 Japan and International Development Agenda”
25 March in Tokyo
hosted by JICA-RI
- Expert conference “Fit for purpose? Revitalizing climate and sustainability issues in the G20 process”
20 March 2019 in Berlin
hosted by The German Development Institute and Institute for Global Environmental Strategies
- Global Solutions Summit
18-19 March 2019 in Berlin
hosted by Global Solutions Initiative
- Toward G-20 Principles for IMF Reform
28 February 2019 in Boston
hosted by Boston University and Chinese Academy of Social Sciences
- RIETI-ABER-IIT Roundtable “Global Trade Reform”
28 February 2019 in Canberra
hosted by Australian National University, University of Adelaide and RIETI
- OECD-ADBI Roundtable on Capital Market and Financial Reform in Asia
26-27 February 2019 in Tokyo
hosted by ADBI and OECD
- Special Open Seminar: Early Childhood Development and Sustainable Future Society
21 February 2019 in Tokyo
hosted by CICE, Hiroshima University and JICA Research Institute
- Developing Policy Agenda for Global Health Workshop : Global Policy Challenges for the Future Global Health in the SDG era
19 February 2019 in Tokyo
hosted by University of Tokyo
- KDI School-JICA-RI Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) Joint Conference
14 February 2019 in Seoul
hosted by Japan International Cooperation Agency Research Institute and KDI School
- Roundtable Discussion on “New Global Era of Digital Economies”
30 January 2019 in Jakarta
hosted by JETRO, ERIA & RIETI
- T20 Mumbai 2019
28 January 2019 in Mumbai
hosted by Gateway House Indian Council on Global Relations
- 9th ADBI-OECD-ILO Roundtable on Labor Migration in Asia
24-25 January 2019 in Tokyo
hosted by Asian Development Bank Institute
- Symposium “Asia’s Response to the Trade War”
6 December 2018 in Tokyo
hosted by Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry
- Book Launch “From Summits to Solutions: What are the innovative ideas that could help the world reach the Sustainable Development Goals?”
3 December 2018 in Tokyo
hosted by Japan International Cooperation Agency Research Institute
T20 on Enabling Innovative SMEs Via Fintech
Lead Co-Chair of the T20 Japan task force on small and medium-sized enterprises Hiroyuki Okamuro explains how G20 countries can promote SME innovation by enhancing financial technology use.
T20 on Ensuring Financial Stability and Development
On the eve of the G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors Meeting, T20 Japan task force on international financial architecture Lead Co-Chair Eiji Ogawa describes what next steps the G20 can take to address financial shocks.
T20 on Mitigating Emerging Risks to G20 Countries
Institute for International Monetary Affairs President and T20 Japan Supporting Co-Chair Hiroshi Watanabe describes the changing risk landscape and T20 ideas for ensuring G20 resiliency.