Task Force 4: Economic Effects of Infrastructure Investment and its Financing
Background and Challenges
Infrastructure is crucially important to foster countries’ economic development and prosperity. Investments in infrastructure contributes to higher productivity and growth, facilitates trade and connectivity, and promotes economic inclusion.
Global infrastructure demand is high. McKinsey has reported that from 2016 to 2030, there will be a need to invest on average USD3.3 trillion annually to keep pace with projected growth. Of which, 60% is accounted for by developing countries. Furthermore, Asian Development Bank has estimated that USD1.7 trillion is required every year to maintain rates of growth sufficient to alleviate poverty in the Asian region including investment needs for climate change mitigation and adaptation.
As the population of developing countries keep growing, it is imperative we need high-quality infrastructure that is sustainable, increases business activities, creates new employment, narrows income disparities and empowering gender participation. Quality Infrastructure is at the heart of the Sustainable Development Goals as it supports inclusive growth and enhances access to all. One cannot ignore the Paris Climate Agreement and the inter-relation between infrastructure, sustainability and climate.
This task force aims to propose ways of developing quality infrastructure investments which consider financial, climate, and urban planning challenges. By addressing the challenges of the inherent complexity of quality infrastructure investments, mobilization of long-term finance at reasonable costs, and reformation of existing urban management systems amongst other, the task force will create a corpus of knowledge including best practices followed in various G20 member countries to encourage quality infrastructure investments.
T20 Japan on Optimizing Infrastructure Development
T20 Japan Chair and infrastructure task force Lead Co-Chair Naoyuki Yoshino describes the keys to meeting rising infrastructure demand and maximizing the benefits.
Policy Briefs and Proposals
- The Infrastructure Nexus: From the Future of Infrastructures to the Infrastructures of the Future
Author: Nicolas J.A. Buchoud, Ross Douglas, Pascal Gastineau, Martin Koning, David Mangin, Philippe Poinsot, Jean François Silvain, and Hélène Soubelet
- Infrastructure Investment Needs and Sources of Financing
Author: Yasuyuki Sawada
- Building Resilient Infrastructure Systems
Authors: Nicolas J.A. Buchoud and Jean-Bernard Kovarik
- Quality Infrastructure Investment and the Way to Increase the Rate of Return from Infrastructure Investments
Author: Naoyuki Yoshino, Nella Hendriyetty, and Saloni Lakhia
- Sustainable Infrastructure to Secure the Natural Capital of the Amazon
Authors: Ana Cristina Barros, Bruce McKenney, Amar Bhattacharya, Beatriz Nofal, Carlos Nobre, Kevin Gallagher, Linda Krueger and Thomas Lovejoy
- Disaster Mitigation Social Resilience: From Human Being to Infrastructure
Author: Akiko Yamanaka
- Economic Effects of Infrastructure Investment from the Land-Based Financing System
Authors: Vladimir Yakunin, Daisuke Kotegawa, Pablo Ava, Teresita Cruz-del Rosario, Dimitris Psarrakis, Anna-Maria Chkoniya, Maxim Vilisov, Li Xin, and Jose Barbero
- Global Targets on Drinking Water
Author: Taikan Oki
- Amar Bhattacharya, Brookings Institution
- Naoyuki Yoshino, Asian Development Bank Institute (ADBI)
- Akiko Yamanaka, International Tsunami Disaster Prevention Society
- Beatriz Nofal, Eco-Axis
- Daniel F. Runde, Center for Strategic and International Studies
- Dennis Snower, Global Solutions Initiative (GSI)
- Hélène Jacquot-Guimbal, Fondation pour la Recherche sur la Biodiversité
- Jean-Bernard Kovarik, Institut français des sciences et technologies des transports, de l’aménagement et des reseaux
- Nicolas Buchoud, Renaissance Urbaine
- Shamshad Akhtar, Karandaaz Pakistan
- Yasuyuki Sawada, Asian Development Bank
For further information and inquiries, please contact Asian Development Bank Institute.
By Amar Bhattacharya, Beatriz Nofal, Linda Krueger, Minji Jeong, and Kevin Gallagher
By Vladimir Yakunin, Daisuke Kotegawa, Pablo Ava, Teresita Cruz-del Rosario, Dimitris Psarrakis, Anna-Maria Chkoniya, Maxim Vilisov, Li Xin, and Jose Barbero
By Akiko Yamanaka
By Taikan Oki
By Nicolas J.A. Buchoud, Ross Douglas, Pascal Gastineau, Martin Koning, David Mangin, Philippe Poinsot, Jean François Silvain, and Hélène Soubelet
By Yasuyuki Sawada
By Daniel F. Runde
By Caroline Evans, Bruno Godart, Jürgen Krieger, Jean-Bernard Kovarik, Marc Mimram, and Fabien Palhol
Quality Infrastructure Investment: Ways to Increase the Rate of Return for Infrastructure Investments
By Naoyuki Yoshino, Nella Hendriyetty, and Saloni Lakhia
By Ana Cristina Barros, Bruce McKenney, Amar Bhattacharya, Beatriz Nofal, Carlos Nobre, Kevin Gallagher, Linda Krueger and Thomas Lovejoy